Thursday, October 05, 2006

Ugh, I have to deal with the D thing.

OK, so I really enjoy blogging about the Mommy thing, and apparently about my backyard as well (which is finally fenced on all sides, btw - very nice to have boundaries!) but I think I need to focus a bit more on the All-But-Disstertation stuff. And this is why:

I need to select a committee. For those who may not know, that entails asking two professors (I already have a chairman) to serve on the committee for my dissertaion. I am petrified of doing this. Absolutely petrified. It's classic fear of rejection, and not particularly rational of me, but it's there and I am having a lot of trouble working up the courage to ask professors to be on the committee.

I'm putting this out here to help me move past it. I figure the more I talk (type?) about it the more likely I will be to just shut up and do it. Afer all, I'm not going to get very far without a *&^%# committee!!! So I am going to update this blog weekly in regard to this Committee Conundrum I seem to have. There, I have set my intentions. I shall now go forth and eat some breakfast.

4 comments:

Roe said...

Stating it is the first step, and congrats for doing that. Do you have particular professors in mind?

I'm at a little more of a beginner stage, but I hear you. I'm still debating whether or not to pursue my MLS, and just the thought of asking people to write recommendations is terrifying me. So I hear ya.

James Kocsis said...

Step 1: Put down the Fruity Pebbles.

Step 2: Do, or do not. There is no try.

Lauren said...

When you figure out the getting past irrational fear thing let me know, because I surely am not feeling full of advice on that topic. I have irrational fear of even talking about what I'm afraid of, so you're way ahead. Keep it up!! :)

Stacey said...

Too bad they don't make some kind of magic potions to help us do that sort of thing... Good luck, you'll do fine!