Friday, September 29, 2006

Far too long

Good grief, I can't believe I negelected my poor little blog for so long :(

Well, life is increasingly chaotic so there is lots to blog about. We made the decision recently to put the little one in day care three days a week, since the babysitter thing was not quite working for me (Turns out I can't stand having to hide out in my own house). If I ever expect to become something other than ABD I need to find a way to get more time to work, and this made the most sense. So far it's working out OK, except for when I drop her off and she says things like, "No, Mommy, I want you! Stay with me!" But yesterday I picked her up and she started to tell me about some of the other kids in the class ("I play with Ka-tee-na!") so I think that's a good sign.

And, tomorrow we're celebrating Leia's second birthday! I went full-on girly and bought her a play kitchen. I went nuts over the &*(%$ kitchen. I compared countless models over the course of 2 months or so, and then when the one I finally ordered got delayed I cancelled it and went out and got a more expensive one so I could at least get it in time. She's 2, for crying out loud. She'd be thrilled if we got her balloons and a bucket of acorns for her birthday. But I digress... Later tonight I'm going to stock it with fake food and she'll see it when she goes downstairs in the morning. I'm ridiculously excited about it.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Holy smokes, she is two! Congratulations! I can't believe that time has flown so quickly.
Sounds like you made a good choice about the childcare. I don't think I would've been able to have someone else watch Amanda while I'm in the house, except maybe my inlaws, and even then, that early on in the ballgame, you are so involved it is very difficult to distance yourself. Dropoffs were very painful in those early days-or even going out at night, there's that squeaky spot in the floor that when they hear you go and cry, "mommy!" You're heart breaks. Time will heal. Hearing about the exciting events of their day helps.

Stacey said...

I had a play kitchen when I was a kid, and it was one of my favorite things ever. Of course back then they weren't nearly as high-tech as they are these days. I bet it's cool.

Lore said...

Actually I went lo-tech with the kitchen. The ones that take 18 batteries and make sounds according to what microchip it detects in the specialized fake food (i kid you not) kid of freaked me out. I mean, where's the creativity? So I went old school with the non-electronic wooden kitchen. And can I just tell you? My kid loves it!!!!

Roe said...

Yay, a new ABD Mommy post! Happy birthday to Leia, I can't believe she's 2 already!

I'm with Linda about the childcare. It's a good thing; she'll be a more social kid for it. Remind me to tell you about Alex's experiences next time we see each other; it's almost worthy of its own stand-up routine.

I had my own play kitchen too. It was awesome. Will and Alex actually have small stand-alone cooking things; Alex has a Spongebob Krabby Patty grill and Will has a McDonald's stand. Kids love to cook!

Stacey said...

Some of my favorite toys as a kid was play food. There's something to it... wonder why?