Thursday, March 16, 2006

OB/Gs and ABDs

So I rewarded myself for writing a WHOLE PAGE this morning by starting this blog...so I can write something else, I guess. Something less torturous and more fun.

I went to the OB/GYN for a checkup last week (fun, right?). The doc asked me if I was working or staying at home with my 17-month-old daughter. I said I was at home and was also working on the Big D. She said:

"Oh, wow. I don't know how you do that. I'd rather take a big test any day. I like my hoops to jump through to be specific and defined. That sounds so hard."

Personally, I think med school sounds pretty hard, not to mention residency, but hey, that's me.

She and the nurse mused on and off for the next few minutes about how it must be tough to find time to write, etc., blah blah. Then the nurse asked me, "How can you do that?"

I blurted out, "I can't."

Truthfully, I can't. Not as I've been working up to this point. My writing has been too slow and too in the margins for me to ever get anywhere. And the fact that I seem to think it is not possible is probably not great either.

Ugh, what a downer! I didn't mean for that to happen. But that is my truth right this minute, and I'm sticking to it.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

See aren't blogs great?! Now you can be as negative as you want first thing in the morning and we'll just love you more for it!! I'm also going to think of something helpful and encouraging to say just as soon as I finish my coffee. :)

Chris said...

Hiya & welcome to the blogging world.

As you know, I feel your pain regarding the D word. I always found writing past drafts was a frame of mind issue. It is simply very difficult to enter the world of academia at the drop of a hat and write effective, succinct APA -approved sentences if you haven't been thinking about such things for days.

I've found it helpful to have a place outside the house to write when I'm stuck. Past successful locations have been my old office at the Preschool and Starbuck's.

Anyways, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and I'm willing to listen to you vent or anything if you ever need it. Just remember your not alone in going through this.

Linda said...

Perhaps maintaining the blog will help oil your wheels in the writing department. And, in keeping with what Chris said, writing outside might help freshen your perspective, or even arrange for Jeff to take Leia out for a few hours each week to give you some time to write during the day, when you won't be so tired.


Address your feelings and frustrations here, it's ok to vent, don't bottle it up.

Stacey said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!
I find that blogs are a nice diversion, for just about anything!