Saturday, March 18, 2006

Nerdy Moms Unite?

Saw an article in the local newspaper today about "Punky Moms" (www.punkymoms.com)

Punkymoms is an "alternative" Mom's group, the "tattooed, pierced, rock-n-rolling, coffee drinking, cigarette smoking, toy collecting, comic book reading...creative...breast feeding...sling wearing mamas" (You get gist. Look at the website if you want the whole list.)The idea is that you had a certain (punky, presumably) identity before kids, and why should you have to give that up simply becasue you've procreated?

Here's a quote from a member: "They understand if you want to wear black, if your hair is blue, if you want to be all-cloth diapering, or if you want to raise your kid a vegan."

Sounds good to me. More power to you. My question is, where are the Nerdy Moms??? And why are we not better organized? My Google search turned up bupkis. What of the Mommies who are closet Trekkies? Who don't think math class is particularly hard? Who over-intellectualize every parenting challenge because that's how we approach everything else in our nerdy little lives? (Perhaps I should have looked up Trekkie Mom.)

Alas, I am too introverted to take this on as a side project (and there's also that stupid D I am supposed to be writing). Heck, I'd even take Geeky or Dorky Moms, although I've always thought that Nerd was the least offensive of that class of terms.

Maybe I'll just get a tattoo and call it a day.

13 comments:

Lauren said...

I'd join, but I'm not a mommy. Boing Boing has a series of posts about robot children which is sort of nerdy parenting... http://www.boingboing.net/2006/03/13/random_jpeg_of_cuten.html
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/03/14/more_evidence_robots.html
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/03/16/earthchildrens_robot.html

Stacey said...

The beauty of the internet is that nobody has to know you're introverted. I'm not a mommy either, but I think I need a site for people who work, and miss their purple hair...

Lauren said...

Can you be a nerd if you're not good at math?

Lore said...

Yes, of course!!! Nerds are an equal-opportunity bunch, I think. I was just using some version of the Barbie "I think math class is hard" joke.

Chris said...

Barbie "math class is hard joke?"

Please explain

Lore said...

OK...several years ago, there was a Talking Barbie. She was quickly pulled from toy store shelves because, among other things, Barbie was programmed to exclaim, "I think math class is hard!" It was argued that this was not the greatest take home message for our little girls. (Astronaut Barbie soon followed.)

Stacey said...

I remember that, it lasted almost as long as "Pregnant Barbie" with the little baby in her hollowed out belly.

Roe said...

I'm a nerdy mommy! I actually prefer to refer to myself as a geek, but you catch where I'm going. Not a math fan, though.

Lore said...

Nerd, Geek, Dork, whatever!!

Lore said...

Pregnant Barbie sounds really, really scary. I can't say I remember her.

At least it wasn't Pregnant Skippper.

Roe said...

I think I had a pregnant Barbie actually. Wait, I don't think it was Barbie, I think it was one of those other ones, The Sunshine Family maybe? Now I have to Google this.

Roe said...

Yep, here we go. Nothing about the doll being pregnant, but I could swear her tummy popped out. Or maybe I just need more coffee. Anyway, here you go:

http://www.feelingretro.com/view_toy.cfm?id=84

Roe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.