Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Rant...

Since Jeff has left the full-time workforce, we have had to foot the bill for our health insurance directly. This is not a small bill, and since we are paying out the ass for coverage I have decided to get everybody current with their checkups. Last week I had an appointment with a dermatologist to have my skin checked, and I had to have a couple of biopsies. Yesterday I got "the call" from Oxford...the one where they are "just wondering" if I might have some "other" insurance coverage so they can weasel out of paying my claim. They then proceed to withold payment until I verify that I'm not forgetting to charge my secret backup health insurance company instead of them. Heaven forbid Oxford should have to, oh, I don't know, PAY for something. Honestly, this happens every time I go to the damn doctor, and I am really sick of it.

Rant over. Oh, and my skin is fine :)

8 comments:

Lauren said...

That's disgusting.

Roe said...

Un freaking believable.

Roe said...

Lore, you've got to go here:
http://www.crochetme.com/blog/crochetme/crocheted-yoda-and-princess-leia

Stacey said...

I have a particular type of rage at health insurance companies. While I'm grateful that they paid for what they've paid for with me, it tends to always be a mess.

I remember paying through the nose for it while I was out of work... it's rough.

Do you guys qualify for any of the state offered health insurances in the meantime? They offer a lot of extras for kids especially.

Lore said...

AS I understood it, we were not eligible for anything from the state unless we were without *any* coverage for a period of time - maybe a year? I forget.

Health care is so messed up. Insurance culture in general is messed up, come to think of it. Paying "just in case" money is crazy when you think about it, but society is set up so that you basically have to.

Lore said...

Oh, and those amigrumi (sp?) are adorable. I may have to copy the Leia one ;)

Stacey said...

I think you're right, you can lose your employment and get it, but if you buy health insurance you're not eligible or something.

I think the site is www.healthyny.com

I used to have HIP that I paid monthly, they're better than I thought they would be.

Roe said...

Lore, Mike works in the insurance industry; if there's anyone who can understand this stuff, it's him. Do you want me to ask him anything?