Friday, July 07, 2006

Japanese Beetle Attack!!!

First they had to recover from the shock of being planted, and now my pretty new cherry trees are being eaten alive by stupid Japanese beetles. Apparantly they can't resist nice juicy fruit trees. Yesterday afternoon I found them crawling all over both trees, munching away, leaving skeletal leaf remnants in their wake. I went to the plant nursery and they said I should try setting a trap, since I'd prefer to avoid spraying pesticides all over my yard. I just put it out. It smells like cloves. It had better work.

8 comments:

Stacey said...

How does the trap work?

Lauren said...

Poor trees, it's no fun to be eaten.

Lore said...

It's a plastic bag that is sort of funnel shaped with a hard plastic thing that holds it open. You attach a lure that supposedly smells like food and/or female beetles. They are supposed to fly in and then get stuck.

It's only sort of working. I fear for the trees. But I won't spray noxious things, and I can't deal with killing them off individually.

Chris said...

Just curius do natural predators work here? Like buying Preying Mantis eggs or something? Plus Preying mantises look hella cool!

Lauren said...

My Dad's friend who's a landscaper recommends putting the traps far from the trees... as in your neighbor's yard since they attract the beetles.

Lore said...

Sadly, Japanese beetles have few if any natural predators to speak of here. They're all still in Japan.

Lore said...

Oh, and the trees are all but dead :(

Other trees look OK, though.

Roe said...

:-( Sorry about your trees.

Just wanted to tell you thanks again for the Cathe Freidrich recommendation! I've done two of her three Stretch Max workouts now (I'll be doing #3 later) and I have a Core Max workout DVR'd.